Washington County is just 1 of the 62 counties in New York and it is about 60 miles in length and 20 miles in width, that results in 830 of square miles area. This county is mostly agricultural and it doesn't have any cities within its lines. In the county, there is a network of county roads which spreads for 276 miles, and a network state of roads which spreads for 211 miles, and a network of highways that connects towns and villages, and it is 1088 miles long.
Charlotte County was created from the County of Albany, March of 1772. Its name was given in memory of Queen Charlotte, the wife of King of England George III. Charlotte County once had within its borders the entire Vermont State area, then the area west from the Green Mountains, and the area north from the Town of Jackson, all the current counties of Warren, Clinton, Essex, and the east side of Franklin.
The Legislature delivered an act that changed the name from Charlotte County to Washington County, in April 1784. They did that because of its name, which was associated with the Queen, and the newly created negative feelings the U.S. had about its previous master, England. The present-day towns of Cambridge, Easton, White Creek, Jackson, and the south side of Greenwich still are a part of the Albany County. In the following several decades, towns organized and other counties were created, which left the Washington County, as we are familiar with it today, with only 17 towns.
Washington County pays for the services (needed and incidental), that it provides for its 63,000 citizens.
Washington County is a non-chartered county, which means that it follows all the laws and regulations given by the New York State. Each town chooses a Supervisor and he becomes the Head Elected Official in the town. In addition to his town duties, Supervisor also represents his town just like 16 other representatives in the Governing body of the county (Supervisory Board). Each town is given an appropriate voting power based on its population. The Supervisory Board is the main governing body of all the counties (executive, legislative), and the Boards make laws and regulations which govern how the county operates. Every Supervisor is chosen biannually, and all the counties operate on the regular calendar year.
The Supervisory Board has legislative powers and executive powers. Every year the Supervisory Board chooses a Chairman for the board. He becomes the Head Elected Official of a county. The Chairman's administrative responsibilities are limited. The Chairman can choose other board members to work on various committees. Department Heads give their reports to these committees.
The Term of Elected Officials
The Sheriff, District Attorney, County Clerk, Treasurer, and 4 Coroners are chosen for their 4-year terms, and they can stay in the same position if elected again.
Eventsthat made Washington County what it is today.
The county was created from Albany County as "Charlotte" on March 12, 1772. The name was changed on April 2, 1784. Clinton County broke off in 1788; the east port was given to Vermont in 1790; a strip which goes along the south edge was taken from Albany on February 7. 1791, and in 1813, the County of Warren was taken off. It is located on the east border of the New York State, it is centrally 45 miles away from Albany, and it contains an 850 square miles area. The original lines of the county were: The entire north part of the State, area of the present-day Saratoga County and a strip extending starting at the mouth of the Stony Creek and spreading 510 chains to the east; then south to the Batten Kill, and along the stream to the south border of Princeton, and then to the "Cumberland" county. The west border was the present-day west border of the Saratoga County which went up to Canada, and the east border was the west border of the "Cumberland" County and the "Gloucester" County. These lines embraced half of west Vermont, north of the Batten Kill, and the present-day counties of Clinton, Warren, Essex, and a portion of Franklin County.
- Argyle was given by patent on May 21. 1764, and created as a town on March 23. 1786. Greenwich was broke off in 1803, and Fort Edward broke off in 1818. It is located near in the heart of the county.
- Cambridge was added by the patent on July 21. 1761. It was created as a town in the County of Albany on March 7. 1788, and was later annexed by Washington County on February 7. 1791. White Creek and Jackson counties broke off in 1815.
- Dresden was created from Putnam and named "South Bay," on March 15. 1822. Its present-day name was accepted on April 17. 1822. It is located between the Lake George and the south part of the Lake Champlain.
- Easton was created from Stillwater County and Saratoga County, on March 3. 1789, while it belonged to Albany County. It was named so because it was a town in the eastern Saratoga Patent. It was given to Washington County on February 7.\ 1791. It is located on the east riverside of the Hudson.
- Fort Ann was created, and named "West Field," on March 23. 1786. Hartford broke off in 1793, and Putnam broke off in 1806. It got its present-day name, on April 6. 1808. The name comes from an old fort which was built there in 1709. It is located to the southern bank of Lake Champlain, and the southeast bank of Lake George.
- Fort Edward was created from Argyle on April 10. 1818. It is located on the east riverside of the Hudson, close to the middle in the west border of this county.
- Granville was created on March 23. 1786. It is located on the east border of this county and it goes north from the center.
- Greenwich was created from Argyle on March 4. 1803. It is located on the east border of this county, and in the north, it goes up to a corner created by the intersection of the Batten Kill and the Hudson.
- Hampton was created in March 3. 1786. It located on the east of the county, and up north from the center.
- Hartford was created from "Westfield", and now is called Fort Ann, on March 12. 1793. It is located close to the center of this county.
- Hebron was created on March 23. 1786, and given its name from Hebron in Connecticut. It is located close to the middle of the east border of this county.
- Jackson was created from Cambridge on April 17. 1815. It is located on the east border of this county, and south of the center.
- Kingsbury was added by the patent on May 11. 1762, and given recognition as a town by the State, on March 23. 1786. It is located on the west line of this county, and north from the center.
- Putnam was created from "Westfield", which is now called Fort Ann, on February 28. 1806. Dresden broke off in 1822. This town is in the far north side of this county, on the mountainous land in-between Lake George and Lake Champlain.
- Salem was made by the patent on August 7. 1764, and it was given recognition by the statute of March 23. 1786. It is on the east border of this county, south from the center.
- White Creek was created from Cambridge on April 17. 1815. It is located in the east/southeast corner of this county.
- Whitehall was added by the patent on November 12. 1763, and was named "Skenesborough". It was given a different name on March 23. 1786. It is located on the south bank of Lake Champlain.
Start your trip in Buskirk, County of Rensselaer. Go through the oldest of the four Covered Bridges, which is 151 years old, and you will get to Washington County. The Covered Bridge Advisory Commission and the Department of Works of Washington County have finished making plans for the rehabilitation of three Covered Bridges in 2007. All four Covered Bridges are considered to be historic places according to the National Register. (Phone Number: 518-746-2294.)
Covered Bridge in Buskirk
This bridge was built on a Howe truss design in 1857. It has a single span length of 152 feet. The bridge connects two counties, Washington County and Rensselaer County. It goes over the Hoosick River and connects two roads in two counties.
Covered Bridge in Rexleigh
It is located very close to the Route 22, which is in Salem. It goes over the Batten Kill and is on the Rexleigh Road. The bridge was made in 1874, and it also was made using Howe Truss design and has 107 feet in length.
Covered Bridge in Shushan
The Covered Bridge in Sushan was once open for use, now it houses a museum for antique farm equipment. The 1858 Lattice truss bridge has a length of 160 feet. This bridge and a one classroom school are open for use during the summer. The Georgi Museum and the Georgi Park have 9 acres of park-like nature on the bank of the Batten Kill stream. The Georgi is a beautiful house that has European antiques, Renaissance art, and some Asian antiques. There are scenic gardens and fields.
-Phone Number: 518-854-3773
Covered Bridge in Eagleville
This bridge is near the Route 331, which is on Eagleville Road close to the Vermont border. It goes over the Batten Kill, very near Cambridge, in Jackson, NY. It was built on Lattice Truss design and has a single span of 101 feet.
Agriculture is the most important industry in this County, with modern farmers starting to open up to the public.
The most popular tours of farms that are highly anticipated every year are;
- the Fiber Tour,
- the Cheese Tour, and
- the Maple Syrup Festival.
There Farmer's markets which are held in every village and town during spring, during summer and a little at the start of fall. They offer visitors to buy freshly picked fruits and vegetables on the very day they were picked. There are stands by the roads which are one more source for buying fresh from the gardens of different farms. And to add to that, the County Fair has been a tradition in this part of the State for more than 100 years, and it is the county's biggest special event. Many farms have stores that give access to the public or they let you make an appointment. There are pick-your-own berry farms and u-pick orchards that are longstanding family traditions, and last you can choose from a number of wineries and souvenir shops also and shop for best male enhancement supplements.
Plenty of Farmer's Markets
When the weather becomes warmer, you should go out and experience one of the county's farmer's markets. You will bathe your taste buds with fresh produce and other goods which are all grown locally. Cum pills tastes like sweet and tangy soy sauce.
- Cambridge Freight Yard
Sunday from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM, from May through October.
- Fort Edward Broadway Lanes Parking Lot - Rte 4
Friday from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM, from June through October.
- Granville Main Street
Tuesday from 3:00 AM to 6:30 PM, from June through October.
- Greenwich Greenwich Plaza
Saturday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, from May through October.